thephantomq: (Default)
[personal profile] thephantomq
 

They’re kicking you out. 


They’re kicking you out. 


You stare at the letter, tears in your eyes as Eric, Ellen, and Edward stand around you. You can’t defend yourself; you know that multiple bad decisions put you here, in this situation. 


“Can I have a year?” you try to negotiate. The date April 15th stands out starkly on the page; it’s only a few months away. Hardly enough time to get a job and find a place and move out. 


Ellen shakes her head. “We’ve already given you a year – remember our conversation in April?” 


The conversation that didn’t outright state you would be kicked out onto the street, if you didn’t pay what you could? The conversation that simply was we need you to try to pay what you can, because money is getting tight for your mother-in-law? Sure, you can read between the lines now, but it was never clear back then – if it had been, you would have moved differently. 


It’s not even been a year since that conversation. It’s January, days before your birthday. 


Happy birthday to me, I’m getting evicted, crosses your mind, and you shush whoever it was internally. Now is not the time. 


There’s a familiar tightness in your chest. Words climb into your throat, but remain there. There’s no way out of this. There’s no arguing with them. They’ve made up their mind, and they’re here, intervention-style, to tell you, politely, to leave. 


“I don’t have anywhere to go,” you whisper, voice shaking. Everything’s shaking, honestly. With rage or fear, you don’t know. You’re going to be homeless. You’re going to be homeless because the in-laws have decided you’re just too much for them, anymore. 


It hurts. You trusted them to be here for you – and this is them doing everything but being there for you. You trusted them with your disorder; you trusted them to support you and your kid for over a decade; you trusted them. 


The knife twists when Ellen suggests that you go to in-patient. Nevermind that you were just in in-patient, and that you would not be helped there. “You do drugs, Alex,” she says at one point, and you just – 


Weed is harmless, for most people. You just happen to not be most people, as weed can trigger psychosis for you. Something you didn’t know about yourself until you consistently used it for a total of six days. Something you learned very recently, less than a month ago. 


You don’t say any of that. To her, weed isn’t harmless. To her, it’s dangerous. And you’re not going to be able to argue your way around that. 


You want to say you fought to stay – but no, you knew that you had no choice but to accept this. They’re kicking you out, and they have their reasons. They’re kicking you out, and you feel betrayed. 


They’re kicking you out, and in some way, you know, it’ll set you free.


Date: 2026-09-16 05:27 pm (UTC)
chasing_silver: (Default)
From: [personal profile] chasing_silver
Poignant. I can feel the desperation, and the hopelessness.

Date: 2026-09-16 05:56 pm (UTC)
simplyn2deep: (NWABT::Scott::brood)
From: [personal profile] simplyn2deep
This one hurt to read because the second-person perspective puts you right inside that moment of panic. The repetition of “They’re kicking you out” works so well because it feels like the narrator’s brain is stuck on that one terrifying fact while everything else, the deadline, the conversations, the explanations, is happening around them.

What really got me was the ending, though: feeling betrayed and terrified while also recognizing that, somehow, this might lead to freedom. That’s such a complicated combination of emotions, and knowing from your comment that things are better now makes that last line hit differently. I’m really glad you’re able to look back at such a difficult beginning to the year from a better place now.

Date: 2026-09-23 08:22 pm (UTC)
drippedonpaper: (Default)
From: [personal profile] drippedonpaper
I'm so glad to know you've found a place to stay. Hugs to you!

Date: 2026-09-16 06:53 pm (UTC)
pixiebelle: (Default)
From: [personal profile] pixiebelle
I truly felt the hopelessness while reading. As someone who has almost been homeless, it’s terrifying. You captured it all really well.

Date: 2026-09-16 08:01 pm (UTC)
From: [personal profile] imafarmgirl
I can feel the growing stress in this.

Date: 2026-09-16 11:59 pm (UTC)
penpusher: (Default)
From: [personal profile] penpusher
I got a very clear vibe of Pandora's Box with this piece... there is hope yet in the mess of things happening and you do well to suggest that things will come right!

Date: 2026-09-17 02:08 am (UTC)
muchtooarrogant: (Default)
From: [personal profile] muchtooarrogant
There's so much raw emotion here, and your main character's desperation is very convincing.

Dan

Date: 2026-09-17 04:24 am (UTC)
bsgsix: (Default)
From: [personal profile] bsgsix
Anything written from the second person POV immediately grabs me (I often enjoy nonfic writing of my own in this style; I've written entries about psych ward visits that begin with "you" instead of "I," which sets the tone and gives it atmosphere). I read every word. While I am so deeply sorry that this IS true, it sat in my chest, heavy, a stone - something that resonated in that realistic conversation. Being homeless within the home hurts. Feeling betrayed by loved ones feels like a crime. There is such a good build of tension, of desperation, of PAIN... I felt it deep within the core of me.

Your work truly resonates. I hope you are safe and free now, as much as anyone can be. <3

Date: 2026-09-17 09:01 am (UTC)
xyla: (Default)
From: [personal profile] xyla
This was so beautifully written, I could feel all of the emotions and it made me tear up.

Date: 2026-09-17 12:03 pm (UTC)
adoptedwriter: (Default)
From: [personal profile] adoptedwriter
Oh wow! Love the 2nd person perspective. The stress building up is perfect. What a scary thing to anticipate.

Date: 2026-09-17 03:06 pm (UTC)
humanbeansradio: (Default)
From: [personal profile] humanbeansradio
This was a gut punch. Well done.

Date: 2026-09-17 07:58 pm (UTC)
bleodswean: (Default)
From: [personal profile] bleodswean
Whoa. This is so intense. I'm sorry.

Date: 2026-09-18 04:28 pm (UTC)
gardeningatnight: (Default)
From: [personal profile] gardeningatnight
Cannabinoid induced psychosis is VERY real, and increasingly prevalent. I've got a friend who is a hospitalist who has talked with me about it. (Also cannabinoid induced emesis... ) It doesn't really get talked about much in broader society, though... I am sorry it happened to you, and resulted in such fallout.

Date: 2026-09-20 02:08 pm (UTC)
inchoatewords: a drawn caricature of the journal user, a brown-haired woman with glasses in a blue shirt, smiling at the viewer (Default)
From: [personal profile] inchoatewords
I really felt this in my chest as I was reading. I'm so sorry that this was a real life experience for you and I hope that you are in a better/safe place now.

Date: 2026-09-20 06:32 pm (UTC)
purplepetrichor: (Default)
From: [personal profile] purplepetrichor
As someone who is only not homeless because friends have taken my family in, this was a hard read. The hopelessness and desperation comes out strong in this.

Date: 2026-09-21 01:11 am (UTC)
halfshellvenus: (Default)
From: [personal profile] halfshellvenus
I'm so sorry. And I remember how close Bob and his grandfather were at one time.

Psychosis from weed isn't common, which makes it all the unexpected when it happens. I hope you're able to stay away from it. Do you ever have situations where your alters do things that you wouldn't consciously choose to do yourself?

Date: 2026-09-21 06:45 am (UTC)
reidharriscooper: (Default)
From: [personal profile] reidharriscooper
I appreciate the sentiment at the end of hope within dread.

Date: 2026-09-21 02:46 pm (UTC)
ofearthandstars: A single tree underneath the stars (Default)
From: [personal profile] ofearthandstars
This is such a hard, hard situation to be in, for everyone. My heart goes out to you. I am glad you and your kid are housed and in a good space now.

Date: 2026-09-22 12:02 am (UTC)
From: [personal profile] krispykritter
This must have been incredibly scary for you. I do hope that this situation was in the past and things have improved. Take care of you.

Date: 2026-09-22 01:31 am (UTC)
From: [personal profile] krispykritter
I'm very happy that you are housed and may it continue!

Date: 2026-09-22 03:35 pm (UTC)
n3m3sis43: (Default)
From: [personal profile] n3m3sis43
I'm still so sad this happened to you. :( But I think Philly is gonna be good for you, and having them out of your life (if this is how they were gonna be) is too. So much love to you <3

Date: 2026-09-23 05:22 am (UTC)
theycallmepace: (Default)
From: [personal profile] theycallmepace
This is a gut punch. The 2nd person somehow twists the knife even further. Hope all is well.

Date: 2026-09-24 01:54 pm (UTC)
kandigurl: (Default)
From: [personal profile] kandigurl
Oof. A gut punch. It’s so hard to be human and need other humans to survive.

Date: 2026-09-27 02:40 pm (UTC)
lapis_lazuli615: (Default)
From: [personal profile] lapis_lazuli615
I almost cannot tell if this is a physical home the person is getting kicked out of, or if it's an alter that the other alters are kicking out.... and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Well written.

Profile

thephantomq: (Default)
thephantomq

September 2026

S M T W T F S
  123 45
6789101112
131415 16171819
20212223 242526
27282930   

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 27th, 2026 03:53 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios